Wednesday, July 27, 2016

How I Found a Deeper Connection with my Father in Heaven

I am a spiritual person. I am strongly rooted in the gospel in my life. I haven't always been this way. I went for years without the gospel in my life. I went years without praying, without hope, without real joy. Was I having fun... absolutely but I usually end up lonely without a real destination. I know I can't be the only one who has had those days/months/years. Those dark days of not really knowing your path.  The worst part was I knew my path but I was scared to get back on track. 




I want to tell you how I have become closer to my Father in Heaven than I ever have been. I want to share what I have finally done to feel like I have begun to know my Savior and feel my Heavenly Father's love. I know that it is just the tip of the iceberg of what I will know but I can't be the only one. I can't be the only one who promises at the beginning of the year to read my scriptures everyday and then forgets repeatedly. I can't be the only one that starts to say mundane prayers and doesn't fully know how to connect and feel close to my Father in Heaven. I just can't be the only one who struggles to get answers or who just moves ahead because they don't really know what an answer feels like. 

I wrote a blog post a couple weeks ago about how my mornings have changed my life. How I Changed My Life in a Week.  I wanted to recap and expand on that. I've now gone three weeks of consistently reading my scriptures and writing my letters to God. I can still strongly say this had dramatically changed my life. Am I challenged in life still, I would say even more than ever because I am bettering myself. I can say however I have the ability to overcome things and handle stress with only the power of angels. I am by no means perfect but I can feel a dramatic change in my self. 

My last blog goes into details about how I conduct my morning time. I wanted to talk about why and how it has affected me. 

This morning I woke up to my husband telling me about a few things and then heading out the door. It's 6:30 and all I really wanted to do was go back to sleep. Porter hadn't woken up last night and I had a great night's rest. I couldn't fall back to sleep... I've come to learn that if I can't sleep it's usually the Lord wanting to talk to me. So I started my morning routine. This time however I took the advice from Kim Duncan a very successful, spiritual woman. I am attending her online class right now called My Destiny. She talked about how important it is to make your bed first thing in the morning. So I made my bed and dropped to my knees. Usually I just sit in bed and pray because I am still waking up but this time I prayed on my knees. Was I still tired.. oh yes, but I did it. In fact I was still tired as I read my scriptures. I also was still tired as I wrote my letter to God. Then I got to his letter back to me. 


I was floored. Before the letter back I read my patriarchal blessing, I even the started the letter as I felt he normally would prompt me back. All of a sudden I just felt the spirit so strongly and knew I was writing what the lord wanted for me. He answered my questions, he prompted more questions for me, and he talked about my path. I love writing these letters because I can reread them. I can sometimes get promptings but not like when I write a letter. This has deepened my relationship with my Heavenly Father so dramatically. In fact, if there was only one thing I had time to do in the mornings, I would do this. I love that I finally have a way where I feel like I can connect to my Father. 



I share these things not to boast of where I am but to encourage others to build their relationship with their Father. He is waiting and badly wanting to tell us things. It has changed my mornings, my days, my relationship with my husband and son, my home, and most of all-it has changed me. I feel so much happier about who I am and what I was sent here to do. I feel beyond blessed that I can finally read my scriptures daily and feel the spirit so strongly. I truly am blessed beyond any of my doubting. I would suggest you try. Just try to make a connection through your Father by writing to him. No matter your faith or your thoughts about where you stand. He will talk back to you. He loves you and I know this because he loves me. I know it with all my heart. As my lovely friend Kathy Stoddard has said, "Our souls long to be with him again." Writing fulfills our soul's longing and desires. I am so grateful just in the past few weeks to have started this connection. I am grateful I made time in my everyday to make sure I talk to the Lord. It has made all the difference in my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment