Monday, July 25, 2016

My Bedroom Makeover

This room had the most dramatic change. Others may not see it as much as I have but it is amazing. I was in this wonderful classes Overwhelmed to Organized by Becky Edwards and she talked about a couple that were struggling. They learned that their bedroom personified their relationship. So she started cleaning it and keeping it pretty. Anytime they fought she went straight to the bedroom and started tidying again. Their marriage strengthen and deepened. I thought, well their is no harm to trying it. Jaren and I definitely do not have the perfect relationship and it has been something we have been working on. 

As I started thinking about my bedroom I had an instant thought wash over me. I needed to get rid of my bedroom set. I really thought that was a crazy idea, since I have a beautiful bedroom set. I bought it years ago and really love it. As I thought about it more it made sense. I bought it with my ex-husband and even more so it had so many negative feelings surrounding it from exes after that. I knew that every time I saw a dent or ding on it I was reminded back to that time and that place. They needed to go! I never even thought that maybe my large items around me created a negative atmosphere. So they went! It was the best decision I made. 

I am still looking for a new bed frame and Jaren and I decided we will build a headboard together so it can be our space. The difference may not show in pictures but the feeling still stuns me. I can honestly say our bedroom does affect our relationship. We are so much happier now and a lot more connected. Here's the before and afters. ( I forgot to take before pictures of my bedroom. So they are in the middle of the mess...) 





The closet was a pretty big transformation. It went from totally crammed to having a lot of space. Jaren had both the top racks and I had both the bottom. Now we both have half on top. Our dirty clothes hamper fit in our closet instead of the huge divider that was in our bedroom taking up space. We also finally fit all our shoes in. The most remarkable is the middle shelves. Every single thing on the middle shelf is from our dresser... We don't have a dresser taking up room anymore! Our bedrooms are all so tiny. It's so nice to finally have space!




 Below is the dresser that was taking up tons of space. So all of the clothes that were in there fit in the dividers in our closet or they are gone. We decided to get a bookshelf instead. Then we can still display our beautiful things but not have a storage spot that makes it feel cluttered. On the bookshelf is only things that make us really happy. Like my Am/Pm power-up material, my vision board on top, my wedding bouquet, a rock my husband got me for my birthday (I like rocks), My Harry Potter set (yes I am a nerd at heart), the best of our books, etc. 














It may not look like much but it really has made a huge difference in our home and marriage. Updating the bedroom completely helped our relationship and I can't wait until it's finished. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. I love everything about this post. And the transformation you're experiencing inside you, your home, and your relationships. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply amazing Tess! I cam feel how much this has improved your life and see the sparkle in your eye more often than ever! Great work!

    ReplyDelete