Monday, July 18, 2016

How I Changed My Life in a Week

That seems like a crazy thought, changing your life in a week. It's true though. I have literally changed everything in one week. All I changed was my morning routine. I was told about this routine months ago and even did parts of it but sleep just sounded so much more important. I decided to challenge myself to the daunting task of waking up early. Let me preface that I love sleep. A typical morning would usually start like this... Porter would wake up about 4 in the morning and would climb into bed with us. Then anywhere from 7-8 wake up and tell me the morning had begun by shoving his binkie face into mine and yelling, "HI!" I mean an adorable wake up but then I began my day running. I felt like I couldn't stay on top of things and was overwhelmed. By the time daddy got home I was a mess and the house still looked like I chose to do nothing that day. It all changed in one week...

I decided to start my morning by taking care of myself first. It sounds so selfish but the truth is if you start your morning happy doesn't it affect everyone around you. So here are the five simple things I started my morning with. 

I will do a step by step of each of these habits I use myself. I can tell you they vary. They've even changed this week. I learned these from my great friend Kathy Stoddard in her Got Happy?! class. I highly suggest you jump into the class. It literally transformed my life in so many ways. Here's the link to her Facebook group; 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1033793546666792/ 
join to learn when her next class is! I first learned this from her, she has so much wisdom that she loves to spread to me and many others. I'm also taking another class on organization from the amazing Becky Edwards. I was expecting in an organization class to jump into home organization but she talked about how it's more important to organize your mind and thoughts before you organize anything else. Check out her blog for dozens and dozens of other tips on how to organize your life. 
http://purposedrivenmotherhood.blogspot.com/ 
So by now I have learned in two different classes about how important it is to have an morning routine.. maybe it's time to start. 

So I  did. I started putting Porter back in his bedroom in the morning when my husband left for work and shutting the door. He sleeps now until 9 most mornings... even longer some days. Why didn't I think about this months ago! Then I started waking up myself earlier then him. I didn't need to do 6 in the morning.. I just started with 8 and ran with it.

First, I would wake up and begin with writing my FADES. Frustrated, Anger, Disappointed, Emotional, Sadness. You start by taking a word and writing it over and over again. Thinking of all the time you felt those emotions. Then crinkle/throw/rip what ever you need to do to get the emotions out. It may sound silly, especially because you may not wake up to those emotions, but it really helps prevent blow ups throughout the day because you took care of those feelings. They aren't bottled up anymore. You can also do this throughout the day as you feel the emotions. 


Second, I would say my declarations. Mine are really simple as I am building up to creating better ones. They are reflecting things I'm currently working on. At first it will seem weird to say these things about yourself but then they just become true one day. I totally have seen it. Right down what you want to work on and then say you already are that person. It's amazing how it becomes who you are. 
 

Third, probably my favorite thing I do. I write my letter to Heavenly Father. Wow this has become an amazing part of my morning. It's essentially like writing a prayer but the awesome part is I can go back and look at them. I begin by writing my letter to him. In gratitude and then begin in some help I need in my life. Whether a specific area or just in general. Then... wait for it... I write back from him. It's amazing to have the inspiration and I have become really in tune listening for answers. You may be reading this and saying, 'Whatever Tess..' it truly works! I do it every morning and my answers have ranged from, generic to specific. Like last week when I was told to count to ten when Porter throws a fit. I have had amazing results from this small morning routine. 
 









Fourth, I have scripture study. I have battled for years to have daily scripture study. I want to more than anything but struggled finding time. Now every morning I start my day with scriptures. You can do a verse or a chapter. Whatever you need. I bought a study guide from the Red Headed Hostess. It's My Book of Mormon Study Guide. I usually do a page a day and now I love scripture study. Here's the link if you are interested, https://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-Study-guide-Diagrams/dp/150558244X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468857337&sr=8-1&keywords=red+headed+hostess


 

Fifth, I would get myself ready. Being ready by 9 every morning made me feel really go and ready to go for the day. I loved having that time to myself so I didn't feel slimy and sweaty all morning. I felt motivated for the day!

Those are my five things! What do you think? You can edit them the way you would like. In fact I suggest starting small and advancing as you feel accomplished. If you feel overwhelmed then you are likely to not do them. So maybe for yourself you decide to wake up a 10 minutes earlier and read your scriptures. Celebrate it! If you don't feel like celebrating.. I will celebrate for you. Even little things should be celebrated. If you want more happiness and more joy in life, you have to be willing to change your life to get to a higher standard. Being lazy never got me anywhere, being uncomfortable and trying something new changed my life dramatically!
 

Lastly, my upgraded list. After a week of doing these little steps I upgraded! I added a few more things to my list. I added singing and dancing in the morning. Music immediately makes your soul sing. It brings joy and happiness. I start my morning by putting on quiet positive music during my morning routine. It makes a hug difference. Then I turn it up. I get the dancing music on and I am so filled with happiness and joy. Music should be part of my daily life. It brings joy like nothing else. I've also heard music can bring the spirit faster than anything else. This has made a huge impact on my happiness! 
 

I really hoped that this morning list has helped you in some small way. Whether it's to take a different approach to your mornings or to try the whole thing. Let me know what you are going to do. I would love to be your cheerleader because that's what we are here to do. Cheer each other on and make our lives the best they are meant to be. I know it because I have begun to live in joy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment