Monday, August 1, 2016

15 Minutes to a Clean Home

I'm in a little over a week after decluttering my life. In my post Creating Space for Only  Things I Love I talked about how I spent three days cleaning out and organizing my whole house. There have been some spaces that completely worked and other spaces that needed a little bit more help. 



The best part is the mood of my entire house. I have felt free in a way. I am careful about what I bring into my home now because I don't want to be throwing it away again. I also have created a lot more beautiful spaces. I feel like my home and family are a little more peaceful. Also I can clean my house in 15 minutes! 

You read me right, 15 minutes and my home is clean. When everything has a home it's easy to keep it clean. First I have to talk about my mornings and nights. My great friend Becky Edwards said in her class (Overwhelmed to Organized) how night "time" is different than morning "time". Meaning the actual amount of time. Porter goes to bed at 8, in 15 minutes I can have the house completely clutter free and beautiful. Now if I would have waited until the morning when Porter wakes up it would have taken me hours to clean the mess. 

So here's the secret. In the morning I wake up early and do my Power Ups  after power ups my goal is to have the dishes unloaded and a load of laundry in. After that my house is pretty much clean. Because the night before I started the dishes and put laundry from the previous morning away. I usually at night pick up the disaster of toys because it's impossible to do during the day, sweep and mop. I also take the small amount of time to put things where they actually belong. I realized this was the true enemy of my beautiful home. Random stuff. It all ends up all over the place. I start making piles. A pile on the kitchen counter and the stairs. Everything from these piles go where they belong after I finish the main floor. No more having tons of things I never really used being shifted around and shoved in places! If something doesn't have a home I either make it a home or it goes in the trash.


Night routine- (15 minutesish)

Laundry put away
Clutter put away
Dishes loaded and started
Sweep and mop

Morning Routine-

Power Up
Dishes away (I also load dishes during the day so dinner dishes are a breeze)
Laundry loaded (during lunch I switch it to dry) 


This simple routine in the past week has helped me stay on top of things and feel accomplished. 


Junk/Cleaning Closet


One space I really had to fix was my junk/cleaning closet. I used to have a drawer and random things in other closets. In the past week this closet got everything shoved into it. So I spent an hour or so on Saturday setting it all up. Now it's so easy to put everything away and find anything. 

I added another set of drawers to organize it. I also put a bunch of command strip hooks to hang up bags and the mop pieces. It makes it easy to find everything. Now I would say my junk closet is actually pretty!

































Bedroom Makeover


My bedroom change was huge for me and for my relationship. I can happily say this is my happy place. I love to walk into my room and know that it is clean and beautiful. I added some more decor over this past week. I absolutely love it. Also the closet space I talked about in my last blog post is amazing! I love that we got rid of the dresser! 



Toy Area-

My toy area was usually triple this mess. Now it's so easy to clean up at the end of the day. Only a few things and for some reason my brain can handle a little mess like this. Before this one shelf there were three... I was living a toy wonderland.... Now it takes me less than five minutes to pick it all up. 



The Basket-


I usually clean when Porter is asleep, which usually means I left with things that need to go in his room. I'm not opening that door though... So I created a Porter's room basket. It gets filled then the next morning I can put it all where it belongs. Usually it's just a pile in the hall but creating the basket made me feel like it was an amount I can handle. Plus I just need to pick it up and carry things where they belong in his room, instead of bending over 100 times. 


Dining Room-


I actually got decor for my dining room now. I love how beautiful it looks. I actually want to use it now! It's a perfect space for it. My before of my dining room is in my blog post Kitchen




Is there any spaces you are wondering about how to organize? I would love to tell you what works for me and share some other stories. I really have been so happy with this new life style. I actually get to be a mom and spend some much needed mommy time! 

2 comments:

  1. We did the same thing after reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. We got rid of roughly half of our belongings which enabled us to buy a gorgeous home that is smaller than we could have lived in otherwise (rather than buying a larger, but not as nice home). Mine still takes a decent amount of time to clean, but I can clean everything in under an hour. Since I have kids who bring stuff home a lot, I go through the house every couple of months and ruthlessly clear things away since our needs change as our kids grow. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome example of how applying true principles in your life will bless your life, and the lives of your family members. Great job Tess!

    ReplyDelete