Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Mindfulness

I felt compelled this morning to share about Mindfulness. This was presented to me months ago by my therapist. As I told her how I couldn't stop my brain from being in high gear all the time, she told me that I couldn't keep up with everything I needed to do and she had a solution. I then thought, she's got the perfect answer for me to get on top of it all. As I listened waiting for this perfect answer, she told me something I immediately thought was stupid. Mindfulness. Mindfulness is in my definition holding your body still and 'trying' (keyword here is trying) to clear your mind for some time.  How was this going to solve my problem? It made no sense to me but I figured I would give it a try. Mind you, you I am that person that can barely handle to keep their eyes close during a prayer. I would challenge myself as a kid to keep my eyes close the whole time and it felt like a life sentence.


She wanted me to sit for five minutes and try to clear my thoughts. If thoughts arose acknowledge them and push them away. I was supposed to do this every night before bed or any time I felt a panic attack arising (I'll talk about those more later.)


The first time I tried this I felt silly. After five minutes I did feel better though. Like my life wasn't so heavy. I would love to say I am a faithful mindfulness practicer, but I am not there, yet.


I then started teaching at a school that practices mindfulness daily. As teachers we practice it together and then we use in our classrooms. I practice mindfulness with my students three times a day. At first my students were not to thrilled about this concept. In the past two months I have seen a dramatic change in their view of mindfulness. In the morning they come in ready to tell anyone and everyone about their life since the last moment they have seen them. We get in Crew (which is a group circle) and I ask them to close their eyes and still their bodies for an amount of time (we are up to two minutes-go us!) When we are finished they are noticeably different. The room feels at peace and the students are ready to learn. Again I do this for math (I have a few different kids for math) and again the room becomes instantly calm. At the end of the day we are filled with all sorts of wiggles. We do our mindfulness and again our room is at peace. I can't explain the feeling but the students notice it every time.


Mindfulness is putting your crazy life on hold so that your brain can catch up to you. I thought I didn't have time in my day, when in fact I have more time because I can prioritize things. Mindfulness has become a blessing in my life and in my shame. My goal will be anytime I feel anxiety or shame to take a moment to still my life. I will let you know the effect this will have in my own life.


I really felt compelled to share this mindfulness story. I have seen a change in the adorable bodies of my third and fourth graders and myself. The thing I tell the students all the time is Mindful people are strong people. The ability to hold your body still and mind is not easy. In fact, most people probably can't do it. I'm still working on it. I'll leave you with the question I ask my students daily, are you a strong person?

1 comment:

  1. Tess,
    I love this and how you are using it in your classroom. What a great idea. When you ended with the question are you a strong person it reminded me of an amazing presentation I went to and how the teacher used the term strong choices and weak choices instead of good and bad choices. I love that idea of reminding kids to make those strong choices and be strong people! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete